Rose Garden

In the 1920's Lynn Park Superintendent John P. Morrissey created the Lynn Woods Rose Garden, one of the loveliest public gardens in the City of Lynn's history. Mr. Morrissey created an elaborate formal garden with many rose, annual, and perennial beds. The garden also included rustic arbors, trellises, and extensive plantings of azelea, rhododendron, and other exotic woodland species. Over the years, it was frequently used by the whole community as a scenic backdrop for special occasion photographs. The garden became "the place" to be photographed during the 1950's. The Rose Garden flourished until sometime in the early-1970's when financial constraints brought maintenance to a standstill.

In the fall of 1990, the Friends of Lynn Woods formed the Rose Garden Restoration Committee. The Committee started researching, planning, and performing the restoration of this once prominent formal rose garden. With the invaluable assistance of Lynn's Office of Community Development, the Rose Garden Committee was able to secure funds from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management's Olmsted Historic Landscape Preservation Program. After four years of help and hard work by dozens of volunteers, the garden began to bloom again. The Lynn Woods Rose Garden was re-dedicated to the people of the City of Lynn on June 11, 1994.

The Rose Garden restoration is a coordinated effort between volunteer, city, and state agencies. A project of this scale could not be possible without the help, advice, and support of so many dedicated Lynn citizens, and our thanks go out to each and every one of you who has joined in on this project.

In This Area

Weddings in the Rose Garden

See Also

Landmarks

Wolf Pits

Stone Tower

Dungeon Rock

Contact the Hot Line at 781-593-7773 with any comments or questions.