Dungeon Rock, Lynn, Mass.

Article scanned from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, No 1,193 Vol. XLVL. August 10, 1878.

EVERY tourist entering the ancient precincts of Lynn, Mass., should pass a few Moments, at least, at Dungeon Rock. If he is a believer in the tenets of modern Spiritualism his stay will be prolonged, for this spot owes its chief interest to the laborious work of a family who have for many years professed to be guided by the directions and encouragement of the spirits. It is believed by many, chiefly through the influence of manifestations, that in the year 1658, or thereabouts, a vast quantity of jewels and gold was deposited in or near that locality. Indeed, an alleged history of Dungeon Rock, in the form of a colloquial narrative, has been compiled, the romantic portion carrying the story from the time a man with "his only earthly treasures – his wife and the family coatofarms," reached Plymouth Rock down to the year 1658. At this time it is stated that Veale, mourning for his dead Catterin, went out from the cave alone, and, abandoning his business as a wrecker, entered upon a pilgrimage in quest of food. This action was unceremoniously ended by a terrible earthquake, which closed the ancient entrance to the cavern, and thus shut Veale off from light and life with his dearly loved treasure, which the worldly will regard as the results of a piratical and wrecking course pursued by himself and one Wallace.

About the year 1816 a man, indefinitely named Brown, dreamed that by going to a certain place in Dungeon Pasture, he could discover treasures that had been buried there by the pirates. He went, the narrative says, exhumed the treasure, and, "the probability is, had he been left to follow his own impressions, would have used it (?) to open the rock." The man never could be induced to work, always claiming that he had enough to make him independent, and if his people would let him alone he knew where he could find plenty more. He was shortly after placed by his relatives in the Ipswich Asylum for incurable insane persons.

There are people to-day who believe that some time the city authorities of Lynn guaranteed to defray the expenses of laying the interior of the cave bare; and it is a part of the tradition of the place that a large quantity of powder was inserted in all noticeable crevices and ignited, that the explosion was a failure, and that the city did not pay the bills. Through mesmeric clairvoyance, Jesse Hutchinson was induced to attempt to penetrate to the hidden recesses of the cave. He toiled for days and weeks, and then abandoned the task to others. In 1852 Mr. Hiram Marble purchased from the city of Lynn the large lot of woodland in which Dungeon Rook is situated, and, as he said, "guided by spirit revelation," began excavating in search of the mysterious hidden treasures. Mr. Marble died before he had accomplished his purpose, and his son, Edwin, took up the work where the father was compelled to leave it. Up to July, 1875, the father and son had exnended in labor, material, machinery, etc., upwards of $50,000, and had bored a distance of 145 feet into the solid rock, but the treasure was as far from human sight as ever, and to this day it remains an unknown quantity.

Picture of Dungeon Rock

See Also

Dungeon Rock

A Brief History of Dungeon Rock

A Letter from Edward Kuszmar

Picture of Dungeon Rock

Contact the Hot Line at 781-593-7773 with any comments or questions.